When you drive consumer traffic to your products on Amazon (or Walmart.com) from an external online site or social media, you can do more than facilitate a potential sale. You can also use the buyer's interest in your product to boost the association of keywords to your product within the platform's search engine. By having your customers first access a cultivated search page for a specific keyword with your product listed, and then click through to your product to purchase it, you can raise your product's profile in response to other customer searches for that keyword.
Helium 10 offers their Gems tool completely free to anyone who would like to create a 2-Step URL for online ads or other promotions. The tool works for a number of Amazon marketplaces and Walmart.com.
1. Go to Helium 10's website.
2. In the Resources drop-down menu, you'll see the Gems URL Builder in the top left corner. Click on the link.
3. The Gems page will open. The first item on the page is a video covering much of the same information found in this tutorial. Scroll down the page to access the various ways to create a 2-Step URL. At the time of this tutorial, there are nine methods.
4. Before adding specific product information into the URL generator, check to make sure you're creating the URL for the desired market. The default is the U.S., but you you can also create 2-Step URLs for the Amazon markets in Canada, France, Germany, Italy, India, Spain, the U.K. and Australia. It's important that you select the correct marketplace or your link will drive customers to the wrong market.
5. The first method for creating a 2-Step URL is via Brand. The mandatory fields are Brand and Keyword. You can add in the optional information for ASIN and price, but some Brand + ASINs do not produce satisfactory landing pages due to internal Amazon url assignments. After you enter your required brand and keyword, click on the blue Generate button. The open field below will load with the appropriate link.
You can copy the link, or click directly on the link button on the right to check the where the link goes in Amazon.
6. Inputting brand and keyword creates a URL link that takes users to an Amazon search results page with the desired brand products as the first items.
7. The second option for creating a 2-Step URL is via a Hidden Keyword. In this method, you input the keyword(s) you want associated with your product, and the specific product ASIN. Click on the blue Generate button to create the URL.
8. This 2-Step method produces a link that takes users to a more limited results page, one with the specific ASIN as the sole offering. This URL will also show related sponsored competing products. To produce a page without the sponsored ads, use the next method.
9. The third method for creating a 2-Step URL, via Field-ASIN, depends on a combination of the keyword(s) and the ASIN.
10. This Field-ASIN method will produce a results page that contains only the product.
11. If you want to drive traffic to your product from outside of Amazon's search engine, like from Google, you'll want to create a Canonical URL. Here, you'll enter the brand and ASIN, along with multiple keywords.
12. You'll notice that the Canonical link takes you directly to the product page in Amazon, but the keyword(s) no longer appear in the search field. This is because you're now driving traffic to the page via Internet search engines, rather than through Amazon's search engine.
13. A fifth 2-Step URL method takes users directly to an Amazon Add to Cart page. This type of URL is useful when you're running promotional coupon ads or rebates. This type of URL doesn't influence Amazon rank, but it does create an easy purchase for customers. You'll create this URL using the ASIN and the number of products desired.
For example, if you are offering a free product rebate with a certain number of item purchases, you can set those parameters within the link so that customers don't accidently buy the wrong number of products, thus failing to qualify for the discount.
14. When customers click on the link, it takes them directly to a page where they can click through to their shopping cart.
15. The Buy Together 2-Step URL works in a manner similar to the Add to Cart method. The method allows you to connect up to four ASINs plus their quantities into one Add to Cart page.
16. If you are running a coupon or rebate for the purchase of multiple, different products in one transaction, this method saves your customers the hassle of searching for and adding the products to their purchase separately.
17. The Gems URL Builder works for Walmart.com too. Gems offers two methods for creating a 2-Step URL: via Brand and via Seller. Because Walmart's search engine is case-sensitive, Helium 10 recommends copying and pasting the text from the Walmart site itself to ensure complete accuracy.
18. The Walmart 2-Step URL via Brand takes customers to a keyword search results page featuring the brand's products.
19. Finally, Gems also lets you configure a 2-Step URL for Walmart products based on keyword(s) and Seller. Enter the keyword(s) and copy-and-paste the Walmart private Seller name into the required fields under step nine.
20. The Seller's product links to the selected keyword when it opens in Walmart.com, making it easy for the customer to find the correct advertised product to purchase.
Gems is an essential tool for any Amazon or Walmart.com seller advertising products on social media or other Internet sites. The best part of all--it's a free tool from Helium 10's suite of powerful seller tools designed to help you succeed as a private label seller.
Create a Free Helium 10 Account Today!
Start with the free extension: Download the Helium 10 Chrome Extension.