Many consumer products are marketed and sold seasonally. For example, few people purchase winter gloves in July or summer lawn games in January. And the timeline of bringing a product from concept to market can extend more than a year.
You need to know when to manufacture and ship products to the warehouse--and how much to stock--in order to best manage your costs and profits. Overstock products at the wrong time of year, and you spend too much on warehouse storage fees. Understock products at the right time of year, and you run out of stock, losing potential sales to competitors.
Helium 10's Trendster can help you research products and plan for future sales by pulling past sales data on your own or similar products. Whether you want to know the time of year a product sells best, or whether a specific product's sales are generally trending up or down over time, use Trendster to gather the facts to focus your future product line.
1. Sign into Helium 10. From the dashboard, click on the icon for Trendster either from the left side menu, or the central link.
2. Trendster is a product research tool, so it needs specific products to begin a search. Primarily, it searches using existing ASINs. Typically, sellers will use Trendster to search for products based on a specific event or time of the year, or for a theme. Trendster also pulls Google search volume data on associated keywords, if you want to add this component to your analysis.
3. Helium 10 allows you to search many of Amazon's marketplaces, but it defaults to the original market, the U.S., in Trendster. To change which market you search, use the drop-down menu in the upper right corner.
4. After you have found the ASIN(s) on Amazon's site that you want to use to drive your research, paste the string(s) into the empty fields in Trendster. Click the blue Start Trendster button.
5. The products associated with the ASINs will appear in a list. Each ASIN search pulls up the product name, the main image, the average and number of customer reviews, and produces a graph with the sales price and sales rank over time. The default graph shows the product's sales history from the time it first became available for purchase on Amazon. Some products have been selling for years, while others may be relatively new and only show data for less than a year. You'll want to keep this in mind as you compare the graphs.
6. To change the time frame of the data, click on the date options above the graph. View the data from the past year by clicking on 1 Year over the graph.
7. View data from the past three months by clicking on 90 Days.
8. See the past months sales and pricing information by clicking on 30 Days.
9. If you want to evaluate sales trends over a week, or even over the last 24 hours, Trendster can show you. Simply filter the time range by selecting the specific time range you want to review.
10. Trendster's second feature, the option to add keywords to the search, allows you to determine whether buyers are also searching Google for a certain type of product. There are four fields, and you can either type in the same search terms to show a side-by-side comparison with each product, or you can type in different terms and pull up four different graphs. The new, second set of graphs on the right side of the window displays information about Google searches, not Amazon searches.
11. The results of the Google Trends graph can be filtered for day, week, month and year. You can also see the specific numbers the visual graph displays by hovering your cursor over the graph lines. A window will pop up with the date and search volume.
12. Helium 10 searches both Amazon and Google for their data and returns it to you in a meaningful way, relevant to your research efforts. Sometimes, one, or both, databases does not provide the information you are requesting. In that situation, you will get an error message or an empty result.
Trendster gives you the most efficient way to review past sales of various products on the market and to help you anticipate future sales. You can also research the products you sell via Amazon to see their sales history, and to help you plan for a more efficient sales cycle in the upcoming year. For more training and information, click on the Video LEARN icon on the Trendster dashboard, located in the upper right corner.
Create a Free Helium 10 Account Today!
Start with the free extension: Download the Helium 10 Chrome Extension.