Unlike Helium 10's other tools, Xray, ASIN Grabber, Profitability Calculator, Inventory Levels and Review Downloader are accessible only as part of the Helium 10 Chrome Extension. Because these tools are integrated into the Chrome search engine itself, they only work when you are searching products on the Amazon website specifically using the Chrome cross-platform web browser. The great news is that Helium 10 lets you install the extension for free, with limited access to the various tools, so you can sample the power of subscribing risk-free.
To get started with the tools in the Helium 10 Chrome Extension, you will need to ensure that you are accessing the web using the Google Chrome browser. If you do not have Chrome installed on your computer, you will need to install it. Google Chrome is free to install and use. If you are already using Chrome, you can skip step one (1) and go on to step two (2).
1. To install Chrome, go to the Google Chrome installation page. Follow Google's instructions to install Chrome. This process only takes a couple of minutes. Helium 10 recommends that you make Chrome your default browser. Once Chrome is installed, and you are accessing the web using Chrome, you are ready to install the Helium 10 Chrome Extension Tools.
2. From the Chrome browser, go to the Helium 10 Chrome Extension Listing in the Chrome Web Store.
3. On the Helium 10 Chrome Extension page, make sure you see the title Helium 10 and the Helium 10 image. Click on the Add to Chrome button.
4. Now that you've installed both Chrome and the Helium 10 Chrome Extension, you'll be able to use Xray, ASIN Grabber, Profitability Calculator, Inventory Levels, and Review Downloader. You can use most of the Helium 10 tools--like Black Box, Magnet and Cerebro--with other web browsers, but frequently, you will want to integrate all of the Helium 10 Chrome Extension tools into your research workflow. Unfortunately, the extension won't show up in the Safari, Bing, Yahoo or other common browser windows because it's an extension in Chrome. You must be using Chrome to access Amazon in order to use the Helium 10 Chrome Extension tools.
For example, the first image below shows the Amazon front page as viewed with the Safari browser. The second image shows the Amazon front page as viewed with the Chrome browser with the Helium 10 Chrome Extension installed.
From the Safari browser window above, the Helium 10 Chrome Extension is missing and inaccessible. But, if you access Amazon using Chrome, the extension appears in the top right menu bar.
If you are ever on the Amazon site, and you're trying to use any of the Helium 10 Extension tools but the icon is missing, make sure you're accessing Amazon via Chrome.
While the Helium 10 Chrome Extension tools are only available through Chrome, you can use some of Helium 10's other tools, like Magnet and Cerebro, with other web browsers. For optimal experience though, Helium 10 recommends that you make Chrome your default browser after you install it, or always access the Internet with Chrome when planning to research products or keywords on Amazon, so you can move easily between all of the Helium 10 Tools for which you've subscribed.
5. Now you're ready to set up your Helium 10 account to use the Helium 10 Chrome Extension and all its tools. Using the Chrome browser, go back to the Helium 10 main website. Click on Get your Free Account.
6. Complete the short account registration form and follow all instructions to activate your account.
7. After you activate your account, you will see a screen with links to all the individual Helium 10 Tools. You might look for the Helium 10 Chrome Extension tool here, but it won't appear. That's because the Helium 10 Chrome Extension is accessible as a Chrome extension on the Amazon page only.
Open a Chrome browser window, then go to Amazon. Since only Xray works on both the search results pages and on product pages, so let's look at that tool first.
8. With Helium 10 installed, you are ready to research a product using Helium 10 Chrome Extension's tool, Xray. In the Amazon search field, type a generic product name, click search and wait for Amazon to load the results.
9. Once the results of your product search load, click on the Helium 10 icon in the tool bar. Keep in mind that only two of the tools are active on a results page, Xray and ASIN Grabber.
The other functions are grayed out because they are designed to work on specific product pages, not on results pages where multiple products are displayed.
Let's continue with the Xray tool first to see how it works on a product search results page. Click on Xray.
10. Clicking on Xray prompts the extension to immediately search all the products on the results page in order to produce a chart with significant product information. When it's done sourcing this data, a chart appears as a separate screen in front of the Amazon search results page. Chart data includes the Total 30-day revenue collectively for the searched products, the average monthly revenue (excluding products running sponsored ads), the average Best Seller Ranking (BSR), the average price, and the average number of customer reviews. Below the heading data, Xray presents the same data individually for each product, starting with the top selling product on the list, descending down to the least sold product.
11. Clicking on a column header will sort the list by that column's designation.
12. To see an image of the product, hover your cursor over the ASIN number.
13. To go to the actual product page, simply click on the ASIN and Xray will open the product page in a new window.
14. Helium 10 tags some items on the list as being a sponsored product. When this happens, a boxed SP appears in the title. This icon means that that the seller is currently participating in Amazon's CPC program to appear as a sponsored ad on the first page of results for a specific set of keywords. (Participating in PPC does not guarantee that a product will be chosen by Amazon to appear on the first page of results.) Being a sponsored product, and appearing on the first page of a search, will influence that specific brand's product ranking and sales, usually positively. If a product does not have the boxed SP in the title, that means its ranking is driven by customer purchases. The more organic-driven a ranking, the more customer demand for the product in general.
15. The second Helium 10 Chrome Extension tool available on a product search results page is the ASIN Grabber. ASIN Grabber lets you capture a snapshot of sales related to seasonal or topic-driven products. Sellers use this function when they want to see a variety of products selling for a specific season or event.
16. For example, you might want to search on just the word 'Halloween' this year in September or October, download the report and then study it for ideas of what to consider selling next fall for the Halloween season.
17. Now, let's look at how the tool works on a product page.
Close ASIN Grabber and click on Xray again to open up the Xray chart. Click on one of the individual product's ASIN. Helium 10 will open up a new window for that product.
Now that you are on a product page, when you click on the Helium 10 icon in the tool bar, all the functions are active except ASIN Grabber. You don't need ASIN Grabber on a product page, because you are already researching a specific ASIN. But now you can use Xray, Profitability Calculator, Inventory Levels and Review Downloader.
18. Clicking on the Xray tool prompts Helium 10 to bring up a chart with the sales data specific only to this ASIN and all its variations.
19. Click on the Profitability Calculator to see estimated costs for bringing a product to market on Amazon. The calculator lets you alter the numbers, for example, if you know you can source the product for more or less than Helium 10's estimate. The calculator responds and adapts to the changes.
20. Inside Xray, the Inventory Levels function helps you determine how much product is stocked and ready to ship when it is sold by Amazon or FBA.
21. Finally, the Helium 10 Review Downloader helps you see what customers think about the product. It pulls all the reviews for a specific product and lays them out in an easy-to-read interface. This useful function can help you find problems with the current product listing that you might correct for your own product for increasing sales, or it can help you select keywords for building your own keyword list. The filtering options include setting date ranges, types of reviews, review ratings and searching for specific words. When you've set your filter preferences, you can click the Extract button to run the function.
22. The results of your request come up in a new window with two tabs: one titled All Reviews and one titled Analysis. Under All Reviews, you can see the variations of the product, in color, print and size, and the specific number of reviews and ratings for each variation.
23. Under the Analysis tab, you can see the most frequently appearing phrases pulled from the reviews. Review Downloader automatically sorts them from the most used phrases to the least used by reviewers.
24. Helium 10 Chrome Extension Review Downloader results also link you to the actual reviews on Amazon.
25. Finally, Helium 10's Review Downloader allows you to download the reviews to your own computer for additional analysis and record-keeping.
The power of the Helium 10 Chrome Extension is only limited by your entrepreneurial efforts. To learn how other sellers use Helium 10 to be successful Amazon sellers, you can:
Watch PRO Training videos via the Xray training page on our website or on our Helium 10 YouTube Channel
Join our Helium 10 Facebook page
Check out the additional resources on the Helium 10 website
Subscribe to our Serious Sellers podcast.
Sign up for Helium 10. Complete subscription options are listed below. Find the best plan to suit your needs.